Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Lemon Basil Shrimp and Pasta... Spinach, Part 1

The last two nights' meals have been really good, so you know I have to share!  Plus, I will be gone most of the weekend so these will probably be my last posts until next week. 

You know I love me some Southern Living and Cooking Light... mostly because they are never-fail recipes.  These two are from Cooking Light, and I did not find the need to make any changes. They are simple, wholesome fare and they passed the toddler test.  (He ate the spinach too!) 

I will say, generally I am not a fan of raw spinach.  But when covered in pasta and shrimp, (or in the case of the next recipe, chicken and a hot pan dressing), I enjoy it and don't find the texture so repulsive.  Plus, spinach is just so darn good for you! 

And finally, the reason I used spinach two nights in a row (oh the horror!)...  Salad mix is ridiculously expensive here, so like all my meal choices lately, I have to use what I've got or it's a waste of money.

Lemon Basil Shrimp and Pasta (Cooking Light)

Ingredients
  • 8 ounces uncooked spaghetti
  • 1 pound peeled and deveined large shrimp 
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
  • 3 tablespoons drained capers
  • 2 tablespoons extravirgin olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups baby spinach
Preparation

  1. Bring 3 quarts water to a boil in a Dutch oven. Add pasta; cook 8 minutes. Add shrimp to pan; cook 3 minutes or until shrimp are done and pasta is al dente. Drain. Place pasta mixture in a large bowl. Stir in basil and next 4 ingredients (through salt). Place 1/2 cup spinach on each of 4 plates; top each serving with 1 1/2 cups pasta mixture.


No comments:

Post a Comment