Tuesday, February 28, 2012

What's for Lunch? Cranberry-Apple Chicken Salad



Now that I'm home during the day with Aubrey, lunch-making is no longer the mad dash it used to be while getting everyone ready in the morning.  That's not to say that he doesn't still eat his fair share of lunch meat (although, I think he would be perfectly happy to have a turkey and cheese sandwich every day!) but I now have more time to get creative with lunch.

After a morning at the beach, I just wasn't feeling our usual lunch routine, so I threw together some chicken salad using ingredients I already had at home, and that packed in some extra nutrition through fruit.  I looked over several chicken salad recipes to figure out the mayo/spices combo to use, and this is what I ended up with.  We both enjoyed it, and I will definitely make this again.  It would make a great chicken salad to serve at parties too!

Cranberry-Apple Chicken Salad

Ingredients

  • 3 cups chopped cooked chicken
  • 1 cup peeled and diced Red Delicious Apple
  • 1 cup diced celery
  • 1/2 cup dried cranberries
  • 1/4 cup mayonnaise
  • 1/4 cup sour cream
  • 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • Salt and pepper to taste


  • Preparation

    Stir together chicken and next 7 ingredients in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately, or cover and chill until ready to serve. Store in an airtight container in refrigerator up to 3 days.


    1 comment:

    1. I bet this would be awesome with plain yogurt/mayo combo, too! This is going on my lunch rotation for the week - thanks :)

      ReplyDelete