Monday, May 7, 2012

Miss Patty's Best Ever Salsa

Soon after we moved in, our sweet neighbor "Miss Patty", as Aubrey calls her, brought us an orchid plant and a mini mason jar of her homemade salsa as a welcome gift.  A woman after my own heart.  What began as a friendly gesture, turned into an addiction.  The salsa was the best I have ever had, and I could not stop eating it once I got started.  She brought me some more every so often, and if a few weeks went by, I found myself wondering when my next fix would arrive.  Usually her kitchen window is open, and if I happened to hear her food processor going in the afternoon I would get all excited hoping it was the good stuff.

I took it to a friend's house recently and everyone there loved it too.  So that was good, it was not all in my imagination!  (And just FYI, this is coming from someone who could have cared less about salsa before... not usually my go-to snack.)  I assumed that she made it from all fresh ingredients straight from the farmers' market, because I know she goes there every Saturday to get her produce.  So you can imagine my shock when I asked for the recipe and she said, "Oh it's so easy... Just a bunch of stuff from cans."  Say whaaaa?!  I'm intrigued.

Other than the cilantro and onion, it's true, everything else comes from a can but it still has a super fresh taste.  You have to use the specific brands though, so don't deviate.  I made some for our Cinco de Mayo festivities, and am pretty sure this will become a permanent fixture in my fridge. 



Miss Patty's Best Ever Salsa (Courtesy, Best Ever Neighbor Patty)

Ingredients
  • 1 sweet onion
  • 1 large bunch of cilantro
  • 7 3/4 oz. can El Pato tomato sauce
  • 7 oz can Herdez Salsa Casera
  • 14.5 oz can petite diced tomatoes
Preparation
  1. In food processor, blast onions, cilantro and tomatoes. 
  2. Mix in tomato sauce and salsa casera.
  3. Serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment