Sunday, April 29, 2012

Chocolate Crepes with Orange Sauce


Once a week, an "EMFH" night shows up on our dinner board.  "Every Man For Himself" is a necessary night off from cooking for me, and the best way for us to clear out the fridge of this week's leftovers. 

Last week, I decided to spice up EMFH night with a fun dessert.  I found a recipe for chocolate crepes, and made my own orange sauce to go with them.  I had never made crepes before so I had some anxiety about this because they are very delicate, but they tasted great... I almost didn't share them with anyone.  (Flash to my fantasy world... a totally spotless and quiet home, with beautiful white furniture, and me eating chocolate crepes all by myself on my gorgeous couch that does not have crayon on it....sigh.)  But seriously, I love my family.

I may make this a habit around here.  A fun and easy dessert on EMFH night is great motivation to eat leftovers!  Or maybe I'll just skip dinner and go straight to dessert...

Chocolate Crepes with Orange Sauce (Adapted from cooks.com)

Ingredients
  • 6 tbsp. all-purpose flour
  • 2 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 tbsp. sugar
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1/4 c. skim milk
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp. vegetable oil
For Orange Sauce
  • 2 cups sifted powdered sugar
  • 1 cup orange juice
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
Preparation
  1. Combine all ingredients in a food processor until well blended.
  2.  Lightly coat small non-stick skillet with oil and heat to medium high.  Reduce heat to medium low.  Drop 1/8 batter into skillet and cook 30-40 seconds on each side until the top of crepe has dull surface and the edges begin to curl.
  3. In a small saucepan, combine Orange Sauce ingredients and whisk together until well blended.  Heat to boiling, and then turn down to a simmer.  Let simmer for a few minutes, and remove from heat to cool slightly.  Sauce should be consistency of pancake syrup.
  4. Serve crepes on a dessert plate, with sauce drizzled on top, and sprinkled with sifted powdered sugar.





No comments:

Post a Comment