Friday, April 27, 2012

The Heavy Spaghetti Alternative: Fresh Mint Pesto

If it seems like the blog has been on hiatus lately, it's because life has been crazy and I've been cooking in auto-pilot mode.  It's been just Aubrey and me for dinner a lot of nights lately because of the hubby's busy work schedule. 


But, I couldn't stay away for too long!  I wanted to share this recipe because it's so easy, and has an amazing freshness to it, which I often miss in pasta dishes.  I'm not much of a carb person (desserts excluded) so I don't do pasta all that frequently because it just feels so heavy.  For those of you back home, this is a great spaghetti alternative going into the warmer months. 


I do cut back the amount of garlic it calls for, because it would be overpowering with 4 cloves, as the recipe calls for, and I don't think we have a vampire problem here on the Big Island.  Otherwise, put it all in the food processor and you're done!  You'll notice this a pesto sans pine nuts... you totally won't miss them!


Spaghetti with Mint and Parsley Pesto (adapted from Dave's Dinners)


Ingredients


2 large bunches mint
2 large bunches parsley
3/4 cup EVOO
Juice of 1 lemon
2 garlic cloves (or 1 large)
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon salt


Preparation
  1. Blend ingredients together in a food processor.
  2. In a large pot, cook the spaghetti, drain, and toss with the pesto.

(Seriously... two steps.  Fresh dinner in a flash, mamma likes!)






No comments:

Post a Comment